Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My beater

Eh you'll forget about all that jazz. The headliner is easy and should only run about $40 I think. Hatch is easy too. For me the biggest rattle points were actually the weird dumb stupid dumb weird dumb vent things on the rearmost trim piece I pooped em out and used the rest of the supplies from the insulated fuel rails to "dynamat" the hatch.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Quote Originally Posted by CLEAN AND SLAMMED View Post
    Ohh and the f'ing hatch rattle is driving me crazy , I replaced the bump stops didn't help at all
    I have that too!!! It is driving my crazy.

junkyard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CLEAN AND SLAMMED; 06-13-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Some more pics np247 still attached to trans just laying on the ground somebody wanted the motor , very nice WK interior (man those things are nice ) and a bunch of 5.2 limited

Also found some 96+ limited painted bumpers but it was raining like crazy so I didn't get nothing big
    Last edited by CLEAN AND SLAMMED; 10-06-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Did you notice if the 96's had power antennas?

Never been in a paved junkyard. Did you grab the 231 bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    Did you notice if the 96's had power antennas?

Never been in a paved junkyard. Did you grab the 231 bezel?
    No and no I thought about it but no need for it , it was pull a part

See how much they want for a 247! Figure out the hybrid for us!
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

I emailed George about how involved making the hybrid was. He never responded so I guess he's trying to keep it a secret.

AFAIK he is the only person who does it. I don't know about you guys, but no way in shit will I drop a grand on a tc.
    Ross
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
    AFAIK he is the only person who does it. I don't know about you guys, but no way in shit will I drop a grand on a tc.
    I would do terrible, unspeakable things to get a 247... But I would not spend $1,000 for one.

Ok, splain what makes 247 better?

Progressive coupler vs viscous coupler.

It would be less than 100$ there and its already pulled

2wd cubby
    Last edited by CLEAN AND SLAMMED; 02-02-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
    I emailed George about how involved making the hybrid was. He never responded so I guess he's trying to keep it a secret.
    I would do terrible, unspeakable things to get a 247... But I would not spend $1,000 for one.
    Progressive coupler vs viscous coupler.
    I wouldn't expect him to give away his trade secrets.

Just wondering - I never looked into it but how different is the WJ rear axle than the ZJ?

It's a D44A isn't it? Are the mounts or the dimensions different or is there something about it that makes it unusable for us?

If I have it right the only reason we can't use the 247 straight across is that it doesn't have the hole for the speedo/speed sensor. On the WJ I believe it's on the rear pumpkin, so if you swapped both and extend the wiring it could work, right?

Then there's also the idea of using that converter thingy to get speed sensor info off one of the ABS rings. I don't remember who makes the converter but IIRC it was supposed to be do-able.

Ross, was this you? A while ago someone was interested in tearing down a 249 and a 247 side by side and seeing what it would take to put the ZJ output housing or rear half onto the 247 or getting the PCs into the 249.

That would be a worthwhile project but it could be anything from simple swaps to requiring machining...

I'm really not in a hurry to get into this as I have too many projects anyway, LOL - but I have a torn down 249 next to a (still complete) 242, as I was planning on seeing how easy it would be to convert the 242 to a "George-built" type with the covered output shaft - or was the covered output 242 an early ZJ thing or whatever? Either way I liked his 242 much better than the usual swaps

I've seen junkyard 242 swaps with the shrouded tailcone.

I did want to get them side by side and try to figure it out.

Tue wj rear is wider and has a triangulated single UCA that connects to the top of the pumpkin.
    Ross

Oat relocation
    Last edited by CLEAN AND SLAMMED; 06-13-2014 at 01:46 AM.

Thanks for sharing... notice anything with the relocation?

Had a hour lunch break today so I put that time to use stopped by the junkyard right by my work and grabbed a spare iat sensor for the iat relocation ,drilled and installed in intake tube for a spare to switch from hot/cold weather if it runs bad . .
    That's probably a good way to do it.

IIRC the slightly colder temp fools it into sending a bit more fueling, so it's theoretically faster, but gets poorer mpgs.
    You could swap back if you go on a trip or want better mileage. No idea how much difference it is and/or how long it takes to relearn though.

I've seen junkyard 242 swaps with the shrouded tailcone.

I did want to get them side by side and try to figure it out.....
    Any idea what years or what model Jeeps have the shrouded tailcone, Ross? I heard it was early ZJs but I've never confirmed that.

Like I said, I have the cases, shafts, etc. from my "blowed up" 249 sitting next to my 242. I might look into that - when I get some spare time

Ohh and the f'ing hatch rattle is driving me crazy , I replaced the bump stops didn't help at all
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan13 View Post
    I have that too!!! It is driving my crazy.
    You guys ever figure this out?

Is it the hatch rattling because it isn't held closed tight to the body - or is it something internal in the hatch?

If it's just not tight, I believe the bottom latch has some adjustment to it. It's under the bumper and a wee bit of a PITA to get to. You'd want to lube the heck out of it first and if you live in the rust belt you might want to have a spare on hand in case the studs break off or something
    Last edited by Z88Z; 10-22-2013 at 06:09 AM.

What if you had two IAT on a selector switch? Flip it to the relocated sensor when you have to leave a stoplight quickly, then back when you're just cruising.

I'm pretty sure the computer uses IAT to adjust fuel trims almost immediately, without a lot of "learning" involved.

What if you had two IAT on a selector switch? Flip it to the relocated sensor when you have to leave a stoplight quickly, then back when you're just cruising.

I'm pretty sure the computer uses IAT to adjust fuel trims almost immediately, without a lot of "learning" involved.
    hmmm...

I think you're right. It wouldn't actually be 'learning' anything - it would just be reacting immediately to what it sees as lower intake temps. (I'd go and edit my post so it looks like I already knew that, but nah - too lazy )

So the switch idea would theoretically work. Splice the sensor ground to run to the "common" pin of a switch in the cabin. Run the two wires through both sensors and then to the other two poles of the switch and you'd be able to switch from it reading one to the other. (BTW all our sensors operate off a dedicated 'sensor ground' that comes through the PCM, rather than a 'straight ground' )
    I'm thinking it could possibly get a CEL from the momentary loss of the signal while it switched over, or from the immediate change in temps - but whatever, that could just be reset.

For all that - I don't think the IAT relocate is a mod I'd use, myself.

It's more of an old school tip from the days before we had tuning for fooling the PCM and getting a tad more performance. Probably still valid as a cheap tweak if you're not going the SCT route.

I'd rather tune with SCT and/or have it see the true temp anyway. The used K&N I'm using on my 93 had the IAT relocate in the tube from the PO, but I'm just gonna remove it and seal the hole
    Last edited by Z88Z; 10-22-2013 at 06:42 AM.

I had the IAT relocate and switched back to manifold when I put on an actual K&N tube. FWIW, Ryan suggested I got back to the relocate.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Quote Originally Posted by lilbullie5.9 View Post
    I had the IAT relocate and switched back to manifold when I put on an actual K&N tube. FWIW, Ryan suggested I got back to the relocate.
    aaaah that is good to know - and I stand corrected. Again.

Twice within three posts in a single thread. That's a new record for me!

I believe it works so ima leave it in the tube till it proves me wrong