Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I have have some fairly high standards for rust prevention, it used to be my job actually when I worked at a steel plant. I'm telling ya'll this jeep looks like a CO or CA car, its as solid as can be. Guess I could do a background check on it, carfax or something, but I'm too lazy for that.
    Current fleet: 98' 5.9, 51' CJ3A, 53' M38, 89' MJ

Got fluids in it...

Fixed my headlight issue the easy way.

Been messing with the wiring all day. Its turning over great but its not getting a spark. Gotta do some checks on the 6AL and boost controller, something's not wired right. Got this diagram off the MSD site...looks simple but I don't have the 8860 harness.

The old vortech injector controller (little black box) doesn't get wired into this at all...but I have a question....Which is the ground wire that comes off the distributor? When I check for continuity at the plug, I get continuity on two of the three wires. Called Vortech today and was told the vortech injection controller fires off the dizzy ground. They said, "you know those parts don't exist anymore right?", haha got a chuckle for the day....

edit: (forgot about the cam position sensor in the distributor, I guess this is the signal the black box actually picks up?)

I want to get it running first. Then I'll ditch the current set up and go the SCT route with Ryan, right now the budget is the limiting factor for me. Plus I wanna ensure I've got a decent engine before I drop the dough. I'm kinda broke and I don't have a lot $$ tied up in this venture so far.

It would be nice to have the money to drop it off at a shop and have them fix it but that wouldn't be any fun at all and I'd lose precious braggin rights.
    Last edited by Comanche County; 09-16-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: clarification

Took a break from the ZJ today and helped a buddy do an axle swap on his 79' CJ5.

The red goes to stock coil + wire, white to coil - wire.

Any wiring diagrams for the vortech controller you can post up?
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Thanks for the reply Saleen, sorry for the late reply..... I trust your word and I tried it that way but still wouldn't fire.

I don't have a diagram for the Vortech controller but its easy, it just has 7 wires: 1 pos, 1 neg, 1 brown wire that gets its signal from the negative post from the coil according to the vortech rep I spoke with, the remaining 4 are pos/neg to each additional injector, plus there's a vacuum/boost line. But the rep told me it has nothing to do with starting up, it only fires the extra injectors under boost so I'm not worried about that bit right now.

Just want to get it fired up and I'm a bit confused on the coil wiring and how it works with or compliments the ASD and PCM. According to the FSM (as I read it (and I'm probably wrong)), there isn't a negative wire to the coil and that it grounds to the engine block while receiving a signal from both the the ASD and PCM???

Here's the wire diagram from the FSM. I know the ASD relay controls power to several things, like the fuel pump etc, but I am getting fuel pressure. There are only a few wires left, the white wire from the 8977, and the two coil wires, the DG/OR and GY/WT. I've tried it hooked up a couple of ways. I've got the 6AL wired correctly according to the MSD directions, and the 8977 is also wired according to the directions minus the white wire. I guess I'm not getting the right coil signal to fire or the right signal to the ASD to allow it to fire? Or I've inherited bad parts or I've fried something.

BTW, sorry for reaching into the "way back machine" on this one, I appreciate ya'lls help. Hopefully I can pass this jeep on to someone soon as soon as its done.

Quote Originally Posted by Comanche County View Post
    ..... According to the FSM (as I read it (and I'm probably wrong)), there isn't a negative wire to the coil and that it grounds to the engine block while receiving a signal from both the the ASD and PCM???

Hopefully I can pass this jeep on to someone soon as soon as its done.....

I don't know if I'm reading you right here, but the way you're saying it doesn't sound right.

Coil gets power from the ASD with the ignig on, and gets it's ground signal to fire through that gray/white wire to the PCM.

Simply put, nothing important to the EFI/ignig/PCM stuff has block grounds. All sensors etc use a ground that reports back to the PCM.

Did you use the harness from the SC'd Jeep or are you modding the harness on the one it's going into?

Depending on the condition of the harness, like whether you've started modding it or not - first thing I'd do is to try bypassing all that stuff and just try to start and run it off the stock coil/PCM setup.
    For just starting and running it shouldn't need the box or controller - once you know it runs and there's no other weird little unrelated problem you can go about setting up those components and troubleshooting whatever might be wrong with them.

Ross can probably confirm this but I believe the MSD boxes are known for going bad. I'd say to eliminate it but I think you do need it to control timing under boost on the old school SC'd setups. One note on the box thing though - my 5spd is running that old school MSD 'tard box (FPR setup, no Vortech controller) for the time being - so unless the builder ever replaced the MSD box it's been running on it for 9 years!

Also, just want to confirm what you mean when you say it's not firing.

Do you mean the Jeep isn't starting, or is the coil itself definitely not firing?

If it's just a no-start of the Jeep, is the battery fully charged?

I do know mine with that setup is a bitch to jump start when the battery has gone dead. Not sure how technically correct this is, but from what I figured out it seems like the MSD box either uses a lot of voltage, or it's the last thing to get voltage when the system voltage is low - something weird like that, LOL

If I wasn't patient and tried to crank it too soon it would sound right for starting but it just wouldn't catch. Eventually I noticed the smell of raw gas at the tail pipe and figured out it was wetting the plugs before they could fire. Yanked the fuel pump relay and spun it some more to clear it out. Put the relay back in and it fired right up. That happened a few times.

So after all this work you're going to sell this Jeep?
    Last edited by Z88Z; 10-01-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Okay thanks for the reply Z88Z, I get smarter every time I get on SF. I'm using the modded engine harness from the donor, its really only the coil wires that have been extended. I'm gonna mess with it a little more today then try the stock coil like you mentioned.

When I say "not firing", I meant no spark as far as I can tell, but I haven't thought about the plugs getting wet, I'll check that out. Everything else seems good, cranks easy and turns over smooth. But there is a bad parasitic drain, so maybe you're on to something about the MSD boxes being bad. I gotta dig through the directions I downloaded and find the test sequences for them. Maybe I should've done that at the beginning, haha.

Yeah I'm gonna have a little fun with it and then let it go, I need the $ to finish my 51' 3A, and there's a 67' Gladiator around the corner from me I can pick up cheap, I really want it in a bad way, its one of my bucket list Jeeps.

Saleen, Z88Z, Mexi, the rest of you guys that followed this and gave me advice and tips,,,,this beer is for you! I'm a hammer and wrench kinda jeeper and I get stupid when I look electrical wires or sheetmetal that needs repaired....but I got it this time. Just fired her up!

It does have about 2-3 seconds of run on after I turn it off. Gotta figure that out. The MSD directions mention adding a diode somewhere. blah blah...

Anyway, here's a few videos. What do you guys think? I have a buddy with a SC'd Mustang with a ProCharger, and this one whines a little louder. How much extra oil do you guys add for the SC? I'm guessing a little less than a quart but as long as the dipstick reads full it should be good right? Its a V1, and I've read that they are kinda loud.

I don't have a youtube account. They're on my Flikr page, if someone as a youtube page and wants to put it up that's cool with me. Had my finger over the camera on one, sorry there's no Hollywood in my blood.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3701491...h/10043354303/

Pay no mind to the wiring and of the MSD retard and Vortech boost controller, they'll go under the dash.

So happy right now,,,firing up something like this is akin to seeing your first child born, its just awesome!

I can feel the joy!

Heck yeah!!!! Giving myself one of these right now!...and another fine brew from New Belgium!

Edit: Gotta give credit where its due,,,,couldn't have done it without SF!
    Last edited by Comanche County; 10-01-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comanche County View Post
    .... I got it this time. Just fired her up!

So happy right now,,,firing up something like this is akin to seeing your first child born, its just awesome!....

. What do you guys think? I have a buddy with a SC'd Mustang with a ProCharger, and this one whines a little louder. Its a V1, and I've read that they are kinda loud.

Pay no mind to the wiring and of the MSD retard and Vortech boost controller, they'll go under the dash.

I think it sounds great. Idle is a little funky but at least you got it running and now you can work out any bugs.

What did you find that was causing the no-start?

Not sure if the V1 is louder then the other Vortechs or not but that sounds just like my V1. I'm absolutely in love with that little flutter/whine noise it makes just off idle. When I'm at a stop light in neutral I'm constantly blipping the throttle just off idle by 1 or 200rpms just to hear it do that, LOL.

LOL at the retard knob. I was so proud and happy when I first registered the 5spd - took it to pick up my 14 y/o daughter from school and the first thing she did when she got in was to look over at the driver's side and say "why does your Jeep have a label that says retard on it?"

V1 is a LOUD blower. Glad you got it running!
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    I think it sounds great. Idle is a little funky but at least you got it running and now you can work out any bugs.

What did you find that was causing the no-start?
    Just had to wire it like Saleen said, then it fired right up.

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
    V1 is a LOUD blower. Glad you got it running!
    Thanks!

Nothing cool to report, just worked on a few other things today.

Replaced the steering wheel, old on the left, new on the right, not perfect but its better than the old one.

The biggest thorn in my side on this jeep are the holes in the drivers floor padding. Its looks as if someone drove this Jeep for a few years wearing stilettos. I just don't get how someone could let this happen. For reference, an 8" crescent.

Those holes go all the way through the padding and they really irk me,,,,never seen something like this before, I just wanna beat someone with a wiffle ball bat over this because I didn't think to look under the floor mat when i bought it. There is no rust on this jeep, no dents, and just a few scratches in the paint, and these dang holes are the worst think about the freaking jeep......But "fixed" it with the mats out of my DD. Okay, rant over...for now...

I'm no perfectionist, but I just hate that kinda stuff...irritates me every time I think about it.

Also, I must have had a few too many when I assembled the front clip because I put a crappy set of parking light lenses on it while I had a nice new set sitting on one of my garage shelves.....But the headlight adjusters are broke in the header panel, so I'll go grab a good header panel from a JY ZJ in a day or so...then I'll throw these good lenses on it.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been busy fishing, the inshore bite is on, and when the reds are biting, that's where I'll be.

My Pal,,,we always have a blast fishing...

Actually just drove this thing for the first time tonight and its scary fast,,,like poop your pants fast. Stomped it from 30 mph and I didn't have the guts to keep laying into it. Its a beast, my friend a couple miles down the road at the local bar heard it, said it sounded like a NASCAR race. Its really loud.
    Anyway, I nailed it again and it stripped the threads on the airhat nut and blew the airhat off. Gotta take another look in the morning and check for anything else wrong. This thing is awesome. It does have an slight idle issue, but maybe that'll work itself out, if not I'll look at the IAC.

Also, definitely the future soon holds an Innovate data logger, injectors and a Ryan tune...now that I know the engine, transmission and blower are sound its game on!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scratching my head again. It was running great but this morning when I got on it, the boost came on and it just died. Its throwing codes P0320 and P0351. Not starting. Seems like it could be the CPS but I refuse to believe that cause my original wiring for the MSD boxes was sketchy at best. Think I'll start there and rewire those with a different keyed hot wire. I think that's it but I might be wrong. Anyway, what under hood keyed hot wire would you guys recommend?

Got'er fixed, it was just my crappy wiring. Just took it out for a little adolescent fun....My buddy is putting together a better video, hopefully I can get it up soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3701491...n/photostream/

Sweet vid....

Thanks man, it doesn't really show how hard it hooked up after spinning three tires when shifting to second, just a little surge but it was surprising.

for all those that followed this thread, i'd like to let you know she went to a good home. i'll be picking your brains for information as time goes on. from what i've seen, this looks like a great forum to be a part of, and i'm glad to be here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UaMT...NGJAxmDdySdUMw

Quote Originally Posted by joegibs View Post
    for all those that followed this thread, i'd like to let you know she went to a good home. i'll be picking your brains for information as time goes on. from what i've seen, this looks like a great forum to be a part of, and i'm glad to be here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UaMT...NGJAxmDdySdUMw

Well, re-welcome to the site!

You should start your own build thread for it, maybe with a link back to this one.

Glad CC found a buyer from 'the family' - and congrats on your new ride!