Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My 5th 5.9, not pretty, but has goodies under the hood.

Hey guys,

I've used 5.9s as my DDs for the last several years. Every other week or so I will scour CL and Searchtempest for 5.9 stuff and I found an ad selling parts off a 98 Grand. Turned out to be a 5.9 with a Vortech supercharger. After a 300 mile round trip, I just got it home tonight, and my Deep Slate 9 pulled it flawlessly for the trip back.

The vehicle was parked and got smashed in the side by an elderly gentleman who passed out while driving. Totally wrecked it. This ZJ was a grand ride at one time and I'm kinda hoping the PO is a member here. I spoke with him briefly but ran outta time to get all the details. I'll call him again later on, seemed like a great guy and said he'd love to see it back on the road and that's exactly what I plan to do,,,either the parts or the entire engine will go into my DD.

My plan is to either swap the entire engine or the SC components. To be honest, I've never ran a forced induction set up of any kind so feel free to sling advice my way. I know my MJs, XJs, ZJs, CJs and flatfenders forward and backwards, currently my fleet is a lifted MJ on 35s, a stock 51' CJ3A, 53' M38 and my DD 9er....but I don't know She'ite from Shinola about boost. Tomorrow I'll get out there and do a proper inventory of what I've got but here's the short list: Vortech SC (what type???), air gap Hughes style intake and custom looking fuel rail, looks to have shorty headers that feed to a 3" exhaust and a fat round magnaflow and high flow cat, MSD ingnition and a tuned PCM, also has pillar mounted guages for fuel pressure, boost and something else..?

Its been sitting for a while but only has about 120K on the ticker. My DD has 225K and I just rebuilt the upper end of it. But I'm thinking about swapping the engine as my first option....I am a bit concerned about wiring but I guess I can work that out eventually.

Anyway, I'll start educating myself but I know some of you guys are true experts which I'm not. So your advice is well appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Current fleet: 98' 5.9, 51' CJ3A, 53' M38, 89' MJ

Talk about a steel.... what did you fork out for the "Grand". Dam I despise lucky people... J/K...

How did you not keep from grinning like a dam fool...

You can reuse most of those parts,,,,, then instead of the two extra injectors,, go 42lb to replace the stock ones,,, get a 2 bar MAP and get a SCT tune done. Might want to put a better fuel pump in stock container ( like a walbro 255 )

System looks similar to what I purchased and thats what I did to start. Oh ya replace the hose clamps with "T-Bar" style on the SC.

Ask away,,,, and we will help ya out. Can you get a few shots without the Vortec intake to the TB so I can see those rails better, looks like he was coming off the stock rail with a pressure gauge and fuel was getting split to a FPR with boost to feed the extra injectors.

Tim
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Platinum - 408 SC Sleeper ( 7.49 / 11.? )
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    2007 GC SRT8 Daily Driver
    2003 TJ Rubicon Inca Gold - Trail blaster
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III
    20 Ft Enclosed Car Hauler

Thanks guys, it was a very good deal, and probably won't happen again, so I won't be expecting to win the powerball anytime soon. There's no discernible end play or wobble at all on the pulley, the bearings feel tight but are a bit noisy when I spin it by hand. Guess they're just dry? As soon as the rain lets up I'll get some more pics up...

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    How did you not keep from grinning like a dam fool...
    Trust me, I was giggling like a school kid on the inside. As far as the price, I'd get lynched if I said.

Oh wow. That's an old school setup!
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
    Oh wow. That's an old school setup!
    The tag on the SC says its a V1

EDIT: I started this reply about two hours ago amid doing twenty other things.

You got a lot of good info since I started it but I'll just leave this as-is cuz it's awesome

My first thought - holy crap that's a coil!!!

I spent quite a few minutes looking at that blue thing trying to figure out what it was. I guess cuz it's in the foreground it looked bigger than it actually is - I was thinking it was a water or meth reservoir! Had to save that pic to my pc and rotate it so I could read it - guess I shoulda noticed in comparison to the brake res it wasn't big enough for that. That's ok - I can laugh at myself

So first off, being from your area was it pretty much rust-free and how bad is it damaged?

I hate to see these things go to the boneyard since it seems like there's a lot less of them left every year, but in all honesty I couldn't advise pumping $2 or 3k or whatever into body work for a vehicle that doesn't command a whole lot more than for resale price either.
    Not to mention if it's into the A and/or B pillars that starts to get a lot more involved and expensive....

What kind of miles on it and is the trans built, or rebuilt? Looks like the door panels are gone etc - what parts are gone/left? Just saying it looks like you can make a few bucks back on parts too.

By all means, talk to the PO and see if he has parts list or more info on the build.

First off, I'm wondering what's that silver boxy looking thing by the driver's side valve cover?

Second, kinda looks like you're missing the top hose coolant temp sensor. maybe? I can't tell exactly but from the length it looks like it should be in that portion. Maybe there's toggle switches inside?

Supercharger model is on the blue label on it. Probably a V1, I'm guessing.

Any more info on the headers? Do they look like ZJ headers or are they the real short block hugger type?

Looks like stock ZJ fuel rails, but I can't tell if they're modified for an extra fuel fitting for the FPR of if he maybe just went through the testing port.

I'm guessing the third gauge on the pillar is for AFR, for your air fuel mixture. Depending on the brand etc, if it's an old school one it might not be that accurate, plus some newer ones have the capability of datalogging.

Any more info on the "tuned PCM"? Unless the Jeep came with an SCT tuner - I'm guessing it's probably a B&G or Tom Fox flash. Not bad but you'll probably want to go with SCT instead

(more on all this stuff below)

So anyway, all that stuff aside...

I'm not one of the big boost expert on here but I can cover some of the basic info and save the real experts some time and typing.

There's two setups you'll find on these ZJs. There's the "old school" setup built before 2008-ish (which I'm pretty sure is what you have) and there's the stuff that was built after that with SCT tuning in mind

Just to go over the basics of that, which you may already know - but whatever.....

Pre SCT, to keep it from running lean during boost you had to use an FPR or vacuum monitoring fuel pressure regulator. This would sense when it was under boost and allow more fuel pressure into the rails to compensate for the necessary increase in fuel needed under those conditions.

With the advent of SCT, that required fueling under boost was handled by increasing the duration of the injector open time instead, with the increase set in response to a two-bar MAP sensor. You generally want more fuel pressure available so you go with a Walbro or other aftermarket performance fuel pumps that will install into the ZJ fuel module basket.

Either way you may already have larger injectors and/or an aftermarket fuel pump in there - so see what the PO says.

The good thing about doing it the SCT way is that it's a much cleaner installation - keeps it fairly stock as far as fuel plumbing etc.

You might want to get a new airhat with out the injectors, and stock or aftermarket fuel rails if those have been modified. Two bar MAP sensor and a reliable AFR gauge and/or the ability to datalog if you want to fine tune it

There's water or meth injection but I'm not sure if that's necessary unless you're going to be going balls to the wall a lot - I'll leave that subject to the experts.

plus check with flyinryan in our vendor section for info on SCT tuning. I don't think the "tune" in that PCM is going to be worth anything, but I'm guessing Ryan can just tune right over it.
    Last edited by Z88Z; 06-05-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    My first thought - holy crap that's a coil!!!
    Haha, Its evidently old school and it has a coil,,,,I kinda thought engines needed those, shows you how old school (or uninformed) I am. As far as the extra parts, I've already got a complete 5.9 interior with perfect, I mean absolutely perfect seats and door panels up in the attic, along with all the interior guages, VIC, etc. My 51' is taking up the garage right now and I've got wheels and roll bars and other assorted Jeep crap taking up my back yard, I'm outta room. Plus the Fiance' (who paid for it, she's so good to me) has already been on my rear end about squaring away the jeep horde that has overrun the garage. So I've already offered everything minus the Tranny, TC, DSs, Efan and hood free to my local jeep club members (I expect beer as payment though). I'm hoping to have it cut into pieces in the next few days and loaded in the back of my MJ for scrap....I too hate to scrap a vehicle but this one is bent like a taco. The roof, A+B pillars (entire drivers side), crossmember, are done for, The drivers seat is pushed into the trans tunnel, even the steering shaft is bent. The PO was going to swap what he could into another one but,,,anyway, I ended up with it, I got a bent ZJ with a good motor and trans (unsure about the TC) and if its worth the effort then I'm darn sure going make good use of it.

I'll get some more pics up, but we've got a serious biblical deluge coming down right now.

Last edited by Comanche County; 06-05-2013 at 11:12 AM.

More pics

PCM sticker...

Ok, need details on the hood.... PLEASE.. Still in awe over your gift from the 9'er gods

Looks like a custom job, The bubble is glassed onto the stock niner hood. The center portion of the cross supports was cut out.

Quote Originally Posted by Comanche County View Post
    ,,,,I kinda thought engines needed those, shows you how old school (or uninformed) I am.

....I too hate to scrap a vehicle but this one is bent like a taco. The roof, A+B pillars (entire drivers side), crossmember, are done for,

No, silly. You only need a coil if you want it to run. You use way less gas without one.

nah, from the way it's in the foreground I thought it was some huge thing.

More on the headers and that PCM when you get around to it. I can't read the label that well, does it have a manufacturer's name on it? I googled and came up with nothing for the numbers - as I think I can see them. I'm thinking maybe I remember Vortech sold programmed PCMs in the pre-SCT days? I could be wrong on that though

Ya, I couldn't tell how bad it was from the pix but it sounds like it's toastados.

Well you have the makings of a great project for your other niner at least.

Did you figure out what he did for the Efan controls?

Had some time today and got the interior completely stripped and the rear axle out. That's going to some of my jeep club members.

dropped the hitch and the gas tank. Looks like it only has a stock fuel pump.....An airtex e7103mn. I can't find an auxiliary pump anywhere.

Is it the stock pump down inside the basket though?

Do you just see the plastic tube going up, or is there a rubber hose and clamps?

Z88Z, yeah its the stock pump.

Finally found a recepient 5.9. Some kid was driving it with 225/70s on the back and 245/75s on the front and tore the front drive shaft out. He said it blew the radiator and deveoped a knock on the way home. Rad is fine, it does have a blown A/C line. There also wasn't any coolant in it, just water and not a drop of oil on the dipstick also the air filter looked to be original. To the kid's credit, he did keep it the interior spotless and the wheels nice and clean.

Almost got it out this afternoon.
    Last edited by Comanche County; 08-14-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Confused, what are you doing with the 5.9?

The supercharged engine is going into the platinum 5.9. Just getting it ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Comanche County View Post
    The supercharged engine is going into the platinum 5.9. Just getting it ready.

Good plan - and another nice niner!

When I read the stuff about the motor in this one I was thinking "probably not a good motor to stick the Vortech on" - but you obviously had the same idea plus now you can go 408 with the extra motor in your spare time

Now you just need a stone white 5.9 so you have the full set

Yeah white would be better here in the south, sometimes I can't even touch my Slate if its been in the sun...IMO the Platinum color makes em look like a real luxury ride, maybe its just me.

I always thought I liked the slate and whites better from the pics I saw.

When I got my first platinum I was surprised at how much I liked the color. Up close it has such a nice luster and shows the body details, and I realized as the actual driver/owner of these things that's the view we actually have most of the time - up close rather than portrait style, lol

The other good thing about platinum is - you pretty much have to throw a bucket of dirt on it for it to look bad. I still love the slates and whites, but it seems like 20 minutes after they're washed and detailed they start looking dirty again

Yeah the Platinums seem to pop more when you see them in person. I always thought the color was "hoohum", but now I really like it now that its in my driveway...It did need a new back hatch, there's a big dent in it and I can't get it open...but luckily there was a platinum 5.9 in the LKQ up in Charleston, SC. So I went up there and had my way with it.

Actually found it a few weeks ago and it was still untouched since my last visit. Last time I pulled the PCM, 5.9 AC hose, both upper and lower Rad hose sensors and efan. Today I pulled the back hatch, radio, and steering wheel. I'm absolutely broke at the moment and in some serious mental pain about having to leave the hood, seats and the silverstars.....just don't have the money to take em and LKQ's prices are kinda salty...btw, someone beat me to the grill, front door panels and the hood vents.

If I can get this project complete and running, I'm thinking I might have a nice little jeep to pass on to someone.

Last edited by Comanche County; 08-15-2013 at 06:59 PM.

any chance the front drivers seat is still good. I am only interested in the bottom as I noticed a small tear starting in mine.