Comparison of Dorman and Fel-Pro intake manifold gasket sets

(Not sure where to put this. Move at will)

I'm in the process of doing the plenum repair and I saw that Dorman sold a kit that had just about everything that should be replaced when removing the intake manifold. Gaskets, bolts, everything. Fel-Pros set only includes gaskets and for 6-7 dollars more, you can get everything from Dorman. With the parts being so cheap, I figured I'd order both and use whatever parts I wanted from each kit. Turns out that price does play a role in quality here. Hopefully this helps anyone who looks for parts in the future.

Ordered from RockAuto
    Dorman P/N 615310
    Fel-Pro P/N MS953921

Dorman

Fel-Pro

Intake Manifold Gaskets - Fel-Pro above/Dorman below
    -Not too impressed, really. This is a good example at the difference between Dorman's and Fel-Pro's part quality. Where they cut the holes for the intake ports, there are lot of shavings and imperfections. The Fel-Pro set is very clean and consistent. I'd wager a bit heavier too. Fel-Pro wins.

Plenum Pan Gaskets - Fel-Pro above/Dorman below
    -Acceptable. The Dorman's blue strips of sealer are not nearly as tacky as the Fel-Pro gasket. The holes also seem to be a bit too large for the bolts. The Dorman gasket's sealer applications isn't as careful or as thick as Fel-Pros.

Front and Rear Crossover Gaskets - Fel-Pro above/Dorman below
    -The rubber or silicone isn't as soft and flexible as Fel-Pros. Maybe half as pliable as Fel-Pro's. Maybe acceptable, but I wouldn't use it. Fel Pro wins again.

By-pass hose
    - Good. Seems like it would be fine.

Intake Manifold Bolts - Grade 8
    - Good. Have washers. I would use anti-seize (copper or other kind of high temp) on these. Fel Pro wants $26 dollars for these alone. They may not be the best bolts in the world, but I believe with proper torquing procedures, these will do. I'm going to use them.

Plenum Pan Bolts - Grade 5
    - Good. The bolts have a threadlocker already on them (red). I would use these if I was using a stock pan (I'm personally not).

195* Thermostat
    - Not nearly as stout as the Stant SuperStat I installed this spring. When I received it, it wasn't seated in the hollow shaft and it was out of position.I had to push it into place. I wouldn't use this. Get something better.

Throttle Body Gasket
    - Compared to Fel-Pros, not included in the intake manifold set, it seems to be on par. I would use this. Identical to what I've used in the past.

Thermostat Gasket
    - Seems fine to me. Could be a little bit thicker and heavier.

Misc. Oring?
    - The kit has an o-ring in it. I believe it's for the heater pipe that exits out of the driver-side of the water pump. I could be wrong on that one.

For the price, you get quite a bargain with the Dorman Set. Only 6-7 dollars more from just the Intake Gaskets from Fel-Pro. I personally like the Fel-Pro gaskets more but I imagine the Dorman kit would do fine. It's worth it for the bolts and misc gaskets alone. Overall, however, Fel-Pro seems to make a superior product.

great job. Like this. Be nice if we could put more up like this.

I bought the Fel-Pro set on eBay for $15.00 Bought everything else separately. Good review.

West Yarmouth, Massachusetts, United States
    Fel-pro has been the number one name for aftermarket gaskets for a long time! Never had an issure with fel-pro, I always try to stay away from anyother brand of gaskets.
    98 Platimum GC 5.9 Limited Flowmaster, relocated intake temp sensor, clear corners, 35% front tint, 5% sunroof tint, white face gauges, Accel coil, Summit Racing 8MM wires, 100w fog lights w/new housings, Mopar tow hooks, Mopar Performance PCM, Summit Racing drilled/slotted rotors w/ EBC pads, K&N FIPK

SOLD 90 Mustang LX notchback: cobra intake, 70mm TB and spacer, fender mounted CAI, 1 3/4" long tube headers, 2 1/2" offroad h-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, 3.73s, subframe connecters, cobra r glass hood, glass decklid, 5-spd, cobra rims, underdrive pullys, e-fan, Steeda short through shifter

felpro gaskets are great. the thing i really like about the intake side gaskets is the raised portions around every pass-through.

the end gaskets i have always put red rtv above/below - they CAN be reused i guess, but why? the sides cant, so you get new ones. its unnecessary, but makes me feel better.

as for bolts - i got a set of stainless bolts and washers from mcmaster carr. pretty cheap, and you get a few extras (IIRC the washers come in packs of 50)

around the water passages ALWAYS use RTV on the threads - makes it easier to remove, less rust, etc.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

I want stainless.. mcmaster carr.?

mcmaster.com
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Nice comparison. I have never been fond of Dorman.

I have been very happy with everything I purchase from McMaster Carr. Quick shipping and easy ordering. Their website is great too with a lot of detail.